The first we’ll go over is installing Aluminum doors for a fireplace. These are a lot cheaper than steel doors and are lighter in weight. You’ll find the doors will arrive fully assembled.
1. The glass doors from the frame can be removed. It will make things easier.
2. Installation brackets can be attached. Each side of the door should have two that will go on the back of the frame.
3. Now put the frame against the face of the fireplace. You want it square, so use your level for this. Don’t make the mistake of thinking it looks square.
4. Now take the four brackets and line each up, (one at a time) to the mortar joint. Then take your felt tip marker and mark where to drill the holes.
5. Take the frame off and lay it down.
6. Now pre-drill four holes where you marked on the mortar joint.
7. Line up the bracket with the holes you just drilled.
8. Screw the bracket into place and tighten.
9. Put the curtain/door screen mesh and the glass doors to frame.
10. Make sure adjustments are made to align glass doors properly.
Usually aluminum doors take extra work because of the flexibility of the frames. Just make sure every thing aligns right.
Our next step is installing steel fireplace doors. With these, there is no flexibility whatsoever. You can either install them with an overlapped opening, mounted on the face of the fireplace, or inside the fireplace box. Following is how to install steel fireplace doors.
1. Remove the glass doors or mesh screens.
2. Put the frame against the fireplace face and find the mounting holes on both sides of the frame. (On the backside.)
3. In the mounting hole slots, mark a spot with a felt-tip marker. If the holes don’t line up, cautiously drill holes into the brick.
4. Now make a pre-drilled hole where your marked spotis with an electric drill and use a masonry bit.
5. Put the frame in the fireplace.
6. Tighten screws into the mounting holes that have been pre-drilled.
7. Lastly, attach screen mesh curtain or door and then put the glass doors back on.
When you install fireplace doors, it can take 30 minutes to an hour. Things may all not be the same as explained here and may differ slightly. So, if you want to install aluminum or steel fireplace doors – you will be happy with your choice. You can also watch the video below to know more about installing fireplace doors: